Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Back in blogland.




Not the best view to see on a Spring morning, but this is the weather scene in my corner of Norfolk this morning, misty, wet, grey. So I think I'll brighten up proceedings with a view of part of the garden on a sunny day over the weekend. Full of Spring colour which has inspired my next crochet blanket, but more of that another time. Out in the garden, we've planted the first of the broad beans, including some plants I grew on from seeds germinated in a plastic bag of compost on the kitchen windowsill. The raised beds have been prepped ready for seed planting, my cut flower beds. And this week we'll buy the large pots for my carrots - I grow them this way, in succession, small amounts as there are only two of us, in pots with herbs on the patio.


Another cheery picture....


... my new summer clogs, probably a bit daft for a woman of my age, but at my age, who cares?

I've been away from blogland for a while, got a bit fed up with it to be honest, sitting here writing and knowing that only a handful of folk would bother to read, made me wonder 'Why bother?' But then the urge to write about nothing much came upon me, and so here I am..... for now. Maybe if I read more blogs, I'd get more readers myself, do you think? But then, I don't seem to have much in common with so many bloggers, all of whom seem younger than me, with busy lives of family and children, work, outings and holidays, meeting up with friends and so on. Some blogs are inspirational like Attic 24, some are an interesting read like cozymadethings, and textiletreasury.blogspot.co.uk, but so many just don't relate to my age, my lifestyle, which is laidback, filled with crafts and books and gardening and cooking, afternoon snoozes, meditational moments, art journalling.... speaking of which......


... my latest page.

On the needles at the moment, a large knitted blanket in a pretty sage green, 144 stitches, knit 12, purl 12 for twelve rows, then change to purl 12, knit twelve, a large basket stitch pattern. I've done it before, in Stylecraft Special DK which I use for all my blanket knitting and crochet, and it is so easy to do while watching television, or listening to the Archers Omnibus on Sunday mornings. And on the hook, well, just finished recently in fact, my 'leftovers' blanket, using leftover balls of wool, just tossed in a basket and picked out at random. Worked out well I thought.



Books play a big part in my life, so occasionally I will maybe recommend one or two from the five plus that I read each month. Recently there has been some dross I have to admit. Everyone I knew was praising The Rosie Project, so I bought a secondhand copy. I tried to read it.... on the third attempt I actually finished, but it was with gritted teeth that I got to the end. I didn't enjoy it much at all but had to see what all the fuss was about. And I am still no wiser. So I turned to a writer whose books I always enjoy, Jenny Colgan and thoroughly enjoyed this one, as well as in contrast, the book by B.A. Paris


'Behind Closed Doors' is the debut novel of B.A.Paris, and is a story that is very topical at the moment as it's about domestic abuse, not necessarily of the physical kind, but the mental, controlling kind as has been the focus of The Archers this last week, with the dramatic turn of events in the Rob and Helen storyline. The novel was a real gripping read, you hoped the wife would be able to find a way out of the relationship, and that alone kept you reading to the end. Extremely well-written and well worth reading.

So, that's about it for this time, though I would just like to talk briefly about clothes and diet, two unusual subjects for me to want to discuss as I am not a woman obsessed with clothes, shopping, lunching with 'the girls' and so on. It all leaves me cold to be honest. Diet? A four letter word baned from this house - finally. Oh yes, in the past I've been one of these women who seem to constantly be about to start another diet, not faddy ones you understand, just portion/calorie control and all that. But not any more.*

For reasons I won't bore you with I have been on strong meds for most of my adult life, and two of them are notorious for gaining weight. I am a stone overweight, and at best I can control it. I am not going to lose it; I have now finally accepted that the only way that will happen is if I have another bout of serious ill-health, not a way to lose weight I'd recommend. So I take a size 22, but the manufacturers/designers of clothes for the larger (busted) woman, seem to assume that we are all about 5' 8". I am five foot and a whisper, and clothes I order tend to have sleeves at least eight inches longer than I need them, and whereas on a model they reach knees or just below in length, on me they can be maxi length. It is so very hard to find clothes that fit well on the top half, but also have sleeves and garment length appropriate for my height.

*As a side note, I was reading up about losing calories the other day, following a discussion with a like-minded friend (like-minded in that we have both given up hope of ever being sylph-like again), and I read that a fart can burn off 57 calories... can you imagine the slimming group meetings for that particular way of losing calories?!!!

And that really is all. I shall  be back next month, if I find anyone has dropped by to say 'Hello'.

Thanks for reading, and please do leave a comment if you are able, I like hearing from other bloggers.

6 comments:

  1. I love that fact about farting can lose 57 calories. Classic. Good to know though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read your post :-) I'm finding its in real life I don't seem to fit in - my crafting and hobbies just don't relate to my friends lives :-( I've got both the books you recommend on my kindle to read - looking forward to them xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i love the nice shoes on the blanket! it is beautiful.
    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I adore your little mouse doll... thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you sounding low about blogging. I think it is natural to occasionally wonder why we keep on going. I personally couldn't be bothered chasing readers for the sake of it, my readership is small but steady, but I like blogging because I enjoy writing, and taking photographs, unlike you I don't keep a journal so my blog has become a journal of sorts. I like it when readers leave comments and make connections, and now correspond semi regularly (by email) with a couple of other bloggers. I have also arranged to meet a blog friend in person, which has led to a nice friendship too. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new gardening clogs! And I think they're perfect at any age.
    I'm going to see if my library has Behind Closed Doors in ebook so I can read it on my kindle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete